MINUTES of MEETING
BOARD of TRUSTEES
CROOK COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT #1
Preparing Today for Success Tomorrow
CCSD#1 will prepare & empower all students for successful, lifelong learning through effective teaching.
ORDER The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Crook County School District #1 was held in Hulett, WY, Monday, November 19, 2018, at the hour of 6:00 PM at the Hulett School.
ROLL CALL The meeting opened with the following present: Chairman Brian Marchant; Trustees Marlene Edwards, Thayne Gray, Dena Mills, Ken Rathbun, and Chase Williams. Trustees absent – Rick Gill, Keith Haiar, and Josie Pearson. Administrator present – Mark Broderson, Superintendent.
MINUTES Motion was made by Trustee Williams and seconded by Trustee Edwards to approve the minutes of the last regular meeting. Motion carried.
AGENDA Motion was made by Trustee Gray and seconded by Trustee Mills to adopt the agenda as presented. Motion carried.
VISITORS No visitors asked to address the board.
FINANCIAL Pamela Garman, Business Manager, introduced Paul Stille, Leo Riley & Co. auditor, who went over the school district’s 2017-18 audit results. Motion was made by Trustee Rathbun and seconded by Trustee Gray to approve the November financial reports. Motion carried. Motion was made by Trustee Mills and seconded by Trustee Rathbun to accept the 2017-18 audit findings as submitted by Leo Riley & Co. Motion carried.
BOCES/BOCHES No reports.
PRINCIPALS No reports.
SUPERINTENDENT Mark Broderson, Superintendent, informed board members that:
- The central office reroof project is almost complete.
- Work on the MHS storage shed project has begun.
- A student has been identified as habitually truant, and this information has been shared with the Crook County Attorney.
- He, along with Trustee Edwards, Trustee Rathbun, and Pamela Garman, attended the WSBA 2018 Annual Conference last week in Casper.
- There are three different superintendent evaluations, along with WY Standards and Benchmarks for Superintendents and District Leaders, in their notebooks for them to take home and read. Trustee Rathbun will give board members further information later in tonight’s meeting.
Chairman Marchant asked if the sale of the Bear Lodge High School property and building complete? Yes, it is, and the funds are earmarked for future facility needs.
AGENDA Chairman Marchant asked if any board member would like any item removed from the Consent Agenda.
Motion was made by Trustee Mills and seconded by Trustee Rathbun to approve the Consent Agenda.
To approve the bill listing and to issue warrants in payment thereof.
To approve 2018 EWC Non-credit Instructors:
- Sundance: Todd Hickman – Build Engraved Crate, 20 oz. Tumbler Mug Engraving
To approve 2018-19 requests to home school:
- Billy & Jean Quade
- Jennifer Eatherton
To approve 21st Century and After-School & Friday School hiring for 2018-19:
- MK8: JB King, Angela Reed, Alyson Zimmerschied, Stephanie Huseby
To approve 2018-19 hiring:
- Sara Bryant
To approve 2018-19 extra-duty contracts:
- Jade Keffeler – Moorcroft HS Girls’ Assistant Basketball Coach
- Matthew Albertson – Moorcroft HS Boys’ Assistant Basketball Coach
- Skylar Carsrud – Sundance HS Assistant Wrestling Coach
- Charles Bauman – Hulett HS Boys’ Assistant Basketball Coach
To approve a resignation:
- Amanda Boswell – Sundance Elementary High Needs Special Education Para
POLICY As recommended by the superintendent, motion was made by Trustee Gray and seconded by Trustee Williams to approve the revision to Policy JED – Student Attendance. Motion carried. A copy of the policy is attached and becomes a part of these minutes.
RESIGNATION As recommended by the superintendent, motion was made by Trustee Williams and seconded by Trustee Edwards to accept the immediate resignation of Josie Pearson as CCSD#1 Board of Trustee Sundance representative. Superintendent Broderson thanked Mrs. Pearson for her service. A notice will be published in the Sundance Times and posted on the crook.1 website. The search committee will consist of Chairman Marchant, Trustee Edwards, and Trustee Mills. A recommendation for Mrs. Pearson’s replacement will be made at the December 17, 2018, meeting. Motion carried.
RECOGNITION Crook County School Board members want to recognize the following for their performance or accomplishments.
- Congratulations to Trustee Edwards for earning a WSBA Award of Distinction Leadership in Learning Level I!
- Congratulations to Trustee Rathbun for earning a WSBA Award of Distinction Leadership in Learning Level II, a position on the All WY School Board Hall of Fame, and being named one of the WY Association of School Administrators All WY School Board Members of the Year for 2018!
- Congratulations to Katie Williams, Moorcroft High School volleyball coach, for being selected as the Northeast Volleyball Coach of the Year!
- Thank you to the cooks and lunchroom helpers in each town for a delicious Thanksgiving lunch provided to staff members in honor of American Education Week
DISCUSSION Chairman Marchant had asked Trustee Rathbun to research a new requirement from the Wyoming Department of Education regarding the superintendent evaluation process. Trustee Rathbun reported that CCSD#1 is required to notify the WDE – in writing by February 2, 2019 – of its decision to use one of the four preexisting, approved evaluations, or its intent to create an original evaluation. The board will need to tailor the document to fit the needs of CCSD#1 according to WDE requirements. Chairman Marchant scheduled a work session to discuss the evaluation process. It will begin an hour before the December 17 board meeting.
MENT Motion was made by Trustee Rathbun and seconded by Trustee Williams to adjourn the meeting at 6:47 PM. Motion carried.