CALL TO ORDER – The regular meeting of the Board of Trustees of Crook County School District #1 was held in Moorcroft, WY, Monday, November 21, 2016, at the hour of 6:05 p.m. at Moorcroft High School.
ROLL CALL – The meeting opened with the following present: Chairman Brian Marchant; Trustees Don Clonch, Marlene Edwards, Rick Gill, Thayne Gray, Keith Haiar, and Ken Rathbun. Trustee absent – Dena Mills and Josie Pearson. Administrators present – Mark Broderson, Superintendent; Teresa Brown, Director of Curriculum; Sandra L. Neiman, Director of Special Education; Linda Wolfskill, Hulett School Principal; Jason Moss, Moorcroft K8 Principal; Brian Brandon, Moorcroft K8 Assistant Principal; Becky Waters, Moorcroft High School Principal; Brian Hartwig, Sundance Elementary Principal; and Jim O’Connor, Sundance Secondary Principal.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES – Motion was made by Trustee Edwards and seconded by Trustee Clonch to approve the minutes of the last regular meeting. Motion carried.
ADOPTION OF AGENDA – Motion was made by Trustee Gill and seconded by Trustee Gray to adopt the agenda. Motion carried.
VISITORS – None addressed the board.
FINANCIAL – Motion was made by Trustee Gray and seconded by Trustee Rathbun to approve the financial reports as submitted. Motion carried.
CONSTRUCTION – (during superintendent’s report)
BOCES/ BOCHES – No reports.
SPECIAL PROGRAMS – Teresa Brown, Director of Curriculum, handed out a Multi-Tier System of Support (MTSS) flowchart for academics and 2015-16 Perkins disaggregated indicator results and went over data with the board members.
PRINCIPALS – Brian Hartwig, Becky Waters, Jason Moss, and Jim O’Connor spoke about enrollment, testing, and student activities which included Veteran’s Day concerts, Join the Ride, teacher appreciation events during American Education week, a food drive, and FCCLA projects such as Taylor Reynolds’ project to raise money to buy wigs for children undergoing chemo. Special recognition was given to:
- Darcy Sams, MHS FCCLA sponsor, who passed the test to achieve financial literacy certification!
- Moorcroft K8 teachers Gina Dewey and Sarah Merchen who passed national board certification!
- Linda Wolfskill went over PAWS data for grades 3-8 and answered questions from board members.
ARRIVAL – Trustee Haiar arrived at 6:31 p.m.
SUPERINTENDENT – Mark Broderson, Superintendent, informed board members
- He learned a great deal at the WSBA 2016 Annual Conference in Casper last week and enjoyed the experience. Trustees Edwards, Rathbun, and Pearson also attended.
- The MAP winter testing period begins after Thanksgiving vacation.
- All three communities had successful VB seasons.
- Wrestling and basketball practice starts next week.
- Work at the SHS athletic complex is almost complete for the winter; Mr. O’Connor is working on getting football lights and a crows nest completed.
- The drainage problem at the new Sundance Elementary playground has been fixed and the area is open for students to play
- He will attend another meeting on December 15 to request funds to demolish the old central office building; demolition is estimated to cost
- The move of central office from its old building to its new location has gone well
- A new retaining wall at MHS and upgrading the outdoor track are two projects that will go back to bid in 2017 for completion next summer
- He is waiting on two property appraisals for land in Moorcroft which is adjacent to school property
CONSENT AGENDA – Chairman Marchant asked if any board member would like an item removed from the Consent Agenda.
Motion was made by Trustee Clonch and seconded by Trustee Gray to approve the Consent Agenda,
To approve the bill listing and to issue warrants in payment thereof.
To approve the resignation of:1. Sally Lewis – MK8 Part-time Kitchen Aide
To approve the retirement of: 1. Luern Wood – Hulett School Custodian
To approve an EWC/SHS Non-Credit Instructor: 1. Todd Hickman – Laser Engraving
To approve 2016-17 extra-duty contracts for: 1. Ward Johnston – MK8 Instrumental (.5) and MK8 Vocal (.5); 2. Toby Semlek – Moorcroft JH Boys’ Basketball Coach; 3. Latasha Bertsch – Moorcroft JH Girls’ Basketball Coach
Approval of 2016-17 Requests to Home School: 1. Billy and Jean Quade, 2. Paul and Miranda Zielke, 3. Madison Smith
Approval of 2016-17 Hiring: 1. Dawn Blakeman – MK8 Part-time Kitchen Aide
INTERNATIONAL TRIP – As recommended by Attorney Mark Hughes and the superintendent, motion was made by Trustee Haiar and seconded by Trustee Gill to grant a waiver to Policy JQA, International Student Travel, and approve the out-of-country trip to Austria in March of 2017 for James Boswell to participate in the World Finals Special Olympics. Attorney Hughes informed board members he feels it is the best way to move forward; it is a unique situation, and a waiver would allow the trip to follow guidelines for a non-school sponsored trip. Motion carried.
POLICY – As recommended by the superintendent, motion was made by Trustee Haiar and seconded by Trustee Gray to approve the revision to Policy JHCD – Administering Medicine to Students. Motion carried. A copy of the policy is attached and becomes a part of these minutes.
CHANGE MTG. LOCATION – As recommended by the superintendent, motion was made by Trustee Rathbun and seconded by Trustee Haiar to move the December 19 school board meeting location from SHS to central office due to Christmas vacation. Motion carried.
RECOGNITION – Crook County School Board members want to recognize the following for their performance or accomplishments:
- Congratulations to all student athletes!
- Congratulations to Trustee Edwards for earning WSBA Certified Master School Board Member status!
DISCUSSION – None.
RECESS – Motion was made by Trustee Haiar and seconded by Trustee Rathbun to take a ten-minute recess at 7:31 p.m. Motion carried.
REGULAR SESSION – Chairman Marchant called the meeting back into order at 7:41 p.m.
EXECUTIVE SESSION – Motion was made by Trustee Rathbun and seconded by Trustee Hair to go into executive session at 7:42 p.m. to discuss the superintendent’s evaluation. Motion carried.
REGULAR SESSION – Chairman Marchant called the meeting back into regular session at 8 p.m.
ADJOURNMENT – Chairman Marchant adjourned the meeting at 8:01 p.m.